Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Variant Orders of the Minor Prophets

In my Gottingen volume for the LXX-Minor Prophets, I have a handy list of the three orders of the Minor Prophets.  I "xeroxed" it from Barry Allen Jones' volume, The Formation of the Book of the Twelve (Scholars Press, 1995).

I didn't see these orderings listed anywhere else, so I thought I would be a help and post them here.  Of course, for the MT and the LXX, only the first 6 books are ordered differently.  For the 4QXIIa, the first nine are unattested, but Jonah is last in its ordering (which, if I remember correctly, is what Jones believes is most original, that is, the LXX-MP sequence but with Jonah last).

MT-Minor Prophets:
Hosea
Joel
Amos
Obadiah
Jonah
Micah
Nahum
Habakkuk
Zephaniah
Haggai
Zechariah
Malachi

LXX-Minor Prophets:
Hosea
Amos
Micah
Joel
Obadiah
Jonah
Nahum
Habakkuk
Zephaniah
Haggai
Zechariah
Malachi

4QXIIa:
u
n
a
t
t
e
s
t
e
d
Zechariah
Malachi
Jonah

BAJ Order (if I am remembering correctly):
Hosea
Amos
Micah
Joel
Obadiah
Nahum
Habakkuk
Zephaniah
Haggai
Zechariah
Malachi
Jonah

No comments:

Post a Comment