Wednesday, August 15, 2012

New Testament Theology in Light of the Church's Mission

I just received from Wipf and Stock Howard Marshall's festschrift, New Testament Theology in Light of the Church's Mission.  I think out of all the books sent my way I was the most excited to receive this one.  The collection of scholars who write in honor of Howard Marshall is astounding!  I am personally excited to read the entire book, but a slew of contributions stand out to me.  Jimmy Dunn has an entry on methodology of evangelism in the NT; the late R.T. France an entry on the Son of Man in Hebrews 2:6; Darrell Bock a pastoral entry on the gospel preached in the narrative speeches in Acts;  Mark Strauss is going to attempt to reach a consensus on the purpose of Luke-Acts (this should be good!); and you can't beat Brian Rosner on 1 Corinthians, Thiselton on the Thessalonian letters; Yarbrough on Schlatter, and Schnabel on early Christian mission!  I am leaving out many other exciting entries as well.

Marshall, as I will comment in my review, has had a true 2 Tim 2:2 model and effect in his academic ministry.  Though I have never met him, and surely not sat under his teaching, I feel I have since I have been mentored by many of his former students.  I pray I can be the "faithful men" to his Paul.

I am buried now! But reviews will start appearing at the end of the month.  Thanks, Cascade and Wipf and Stock!


No comments:

Post a Comment